Friday, June 28, 2013

What to expect from this blog in the future

Erase the random lines away: Bridge. 16"x20". Oil on canvas panel.
It's been nearly two months since I've kept the new schedule for this blog, and I think it has served its purpose:

  • I have gotten (back) into the habit of daily writing, and even enhanced it, insofar as I haven't been just writing for myself, but also editing.
  • I've returned to reading more, and have a clearer understanding of connections between seemingly disparate aspects of my life and work.
  • Most importantly, the concept and purpose of this blog have crystallized themselves in my mind, and with that, a better understanding of its appropriate format. 
Two series will stay more or less as they are, no doubt about it:

  • The weekly "Sonnets in colour" series: the most optimistic estimate that it will take me at least three more years to work through my sonnets series, so it's doesn't really feel like a "project" or "series" anymore (even a long one), but rather as a life. 
  • The weekly, or, occasionally, bi-weekly, "Studio news" series: a summary and examination of my studio work, its ups and downs, its insights and its confusion; and occasionally, overviews of my website updates.  

As for the rest, here is an intermediate plan for the remaining months of summer:

  • A series about the rhythmic qualities of the English verse, and the Shakespearean verse in particular, loosely based on Marina Tarlinskaya's work. More or less, it will replace the ad hoc "Reading log" series. 
  • A series about Cezanne's composition, loosely based on Erle Loran's book and Rilke's letters on Cezanne. This will be the summer equivalent of the "In Studio with Masters" series. 
The idea I will be thus testing is a blog-based equivalent of semester- or quarter-length courses on art history and art appreciation. I feel that while a blog post might provide the modern, internet-based, piecemeal format (an informal equivalent of a university lecture/seminar), the two-four months series focusing on particular topics give more continuity and educational value. That is, if you follow a series, it will give you an opportunity for in-depth knowledge on the topic and an opening and a structure for your own further studies. Meanwhile, I will be thinking of more art-educational series for the autumn (for the time being, I entertain the idea of a study into colour theory and its applications and an "In Studio with Masters" series on Henri Matisse).  

I did think (briefly) about splitting this blog (back) into several ones, corresponding to individual series, but I don't believe that would be a good idea. After all, the current wisdom is that wandering between seemingly disconnected areas is a source and fuel of human creativity, isn't it? 



No comments: