Thursday, February 28, 2013

Studio news: here Homer is silent

Insomnia. Homer. Sea. Love (after Osip Mandelstam). 16"x20".
Oil on canvas panel . February 2013
It might well be that my studio news updates are pointless, because there are, strictly speaking, no "events" in my practice: no openings, no fairs, no shows nothing like that. Nor do I want them, really, although it has taken a remarkably long time for me to get it: I have long suspected that I just pretend that I don't want them, because of all the fuss and hassle involved in their organization and preparation. 

But that's the plain truth: my meaningful events happen right here in the studio, erasing, layer by layer, slowly but surely, sometimes with difficulties and pain, but with increasing clarity of purpose, the noise and randomness from the core of what I am trying to do and how I understand it. And this isn't so easy to put into words. "External" events can but slow down this process, and, frankly, I don't feel like I have enough time left in this world for that. This may change, of course, but that's how it is for now. And that understanding is my main "studio news".  

So here is just a recent painting (not even a proper photo yet), my take on a poem by Osip Mandelstam, which brings into focus essentially the same combination of stimuli that defines my life. For him, it's Homer and the roaring sound of sea waves, both moved by love. For me, it's Shakespeare and the overwhelming sight of ocean waves (both moved by love, of course). 

No comments: