Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A color study of pomegranates

A color study of pomegranates, 12"x9" (30.5 x 22.9 cm), oil on canvas panel, 2011.

This is one of my many two-layered small paintings, although here the layers may not be quite obvious. A two-layered painting occurs if the original color study doesn't satisfy me fully after several months of "separation", yet still holds something that doesn't quite permit me to sand the panel and begin a new. And so, I take the panel and begin to play with it, taking the original study as the starting point.

This one isn't quite usual, since, along the way, I was helped by a very illuminating discussion in a critique group on Google+, where I had shown the original version, the discussion that allowed me to look at the piece with other people's eye (insofar as this is possible at all).  

No comments: